Friday, October 9, 2009

My Favorite Classic Love Stories


If you have seen any of my other posts, you might know that I am such a sucker for any romantic movie/love story. Whether it’s from the 1920s or 2000s, any romantic plot in a movie [whether small or large] often makes me tear up a little on the inside. So, here is the Classic Movie Bug’s Greatest Love Movies list.

Two for the Road [1967] - Starring Albert Finney and Audrey Hepburn, this is probably one of my absolute favorites. It chronicles the ups and downs of a European couple. The movie shows their travels and the love they have for each other, despite problems such as having a child and infidelities. Some of the greatest lines/quotes, in my opinion, come from this film. The music by Henry Mancini makes the movie complete perfection. Just lovely!

“We agreed before we were married that we weren't going to have any children.“
“And before we were married we didn't.”

Roman Holiday [1953] - Another lovely love story involving Audrey Hepburn, this film also stars the ever-so-handsome Gregory Peck. Peck plays an American journalist [Joe Bradley] stationed in Rome. When Princess Anne [Hepburn] escapes and flees from her princess duties, she disguises herself as Anya and meets Bradley. Bradley figures out who she is, and thinks it’s the perfect time to have a one-on-one interview with her [as well as to photograph her having a blast in the wonderful city]. However, she does not know that he knows who she is [sounds confusing, haha]. They fall in love at the end, but they know they can’t be together, without stating why.

“At midnight, I'll turn into a pumpkin and drive away in my glass slipper.”
“And that will be the end of the fairy tale.”

An Affair to Remember [1957] - The remake of 1939’s Love Affair, this film is a classic tearjerker. Terry McKay [Deborah Kerr] and Nicky Ferrante [Cary Grant] fall in love during a cruise from Europe to New York. They both agree that they will meet again in six months at the Empire State Building. However, tragedy strikes and Terry is kept from meeting Nicky, leaving him to believe that she has married or no longer loves him. I think that the pairing was perfect, and I can’t picture anyone else taking on those roles. A MUST SEE!

“I really hope you've found happiness, and if you're ever in need of anything, like someone to love you, don't hesitate to call me.”

Casablanca [1942] - I can’t make a romantic movie list without mentioning this beautiful, well-done, amazing classic. This film stars Humphrey Bogart as “Rick Blaine” and Ingrid Bergman as “Ilsa Lund.” Two star-crossed lovers who are destined to be together. Rick is the owner of Rick’s CafĂ©, a central spot in Morocco, Africa. Victor Lazlo, an underground Czech leader, arrives to Morroco with Rick’s one time love, Ilsa. Although bitter to her in the beginning for leaving him, he learns she has a good reason to. Some of the greatest quotes of all time are from this movie. Tearjerker.

“Here’s looking at you, kid.”

So, that’s it for now! I might make a Part II… who knows! But that’s all I have got for right now. I’d love more comments/feedback, and I’d love if more people voted in my polls!


No comments:

Post a Comment