Friday, November 27, 2009

It's A Miracle!

I know, I know… it is still incredibly early, but I can’t help myself! Because it is Black Friday, I decided to talk about a movie that relates to a store that is incredibly American. Macy’s. So, if you guessed correctly, Miracle on 34th Street.

I actually saw this film well before It’s A Wonderful Life. I fell in love with little Natalie Wood and the lovely Maureen O’Hara at first sight (the first film I saw with either or them). This film captures the true spirit of Christmas, and is as timeless as Christmas itself.

In this classic film, a man who claims to be Santa Claus [Edmund Gwenn] is hired as such at Macy’s department store. He becomes a huge hit with the customers. Doris Walker [Maureen O’Hara], the special events director, learns that the man calls himself Kris Kringle. Ms. Walker, a cynic when it comes to Christmas, has trained herself as well as her daughter Susan [Natalie Wood] to reject all ’notions and belief of fantasy.’ However, everyone starts to see notice something special in Kris. After failing a mental examination, Kris becomes institutionalized as insane. But a young lawyer named Fred Gailey [John Payne], a friend of Ms. Walker, decides to take on his case and defend him, arguing that he truly is who he says he is.

I’m a sap, yes, but I cry at many of the parts. I really can’t spoil it if you haven’t seen it, but I will attach my favorite scene below.

I give the movie four out of four stars. It’s worth every minute of waiting and finally watching. Edmund Gwenn is the only actor to date, to win an Oscar for his portrayal on Santa Claus. And in fact, he was the Santa Claus in the actual Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade back in 1946. OH, and you should definitely check out the movie’s trailer! It is one of the most creative ones I’ve seen.



1 comment:

  1. I love this movie!!! It's not often that I wish I had written a movie script, but this is one of them. Everything is perfect in this film. And the scene you attached ... imagine the impact in 1947, knowing how The Netherlands was bombed during WWII to have Santa connect with the little girl who probably lost everything. It's a touching, heart-warming scene. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete