Friday, September 25, 2009

"I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen."


It should not be a secret. I love Two for the Road (1967) so much… enough to make me want to watch it over and over again, and recite all the dialogue. However, there is another movie, not so ‘old,’ that I could watch forever. I know a lot of the dialogue, and love to use random lines throughout my day when the moment comes about. This movie, is Say Anything… (1989), starring John Cusack and Ione Skye.

My younger sister claims to be a huge John Cusack fan, only seeing two of his films. I’ve seen a few… Better Off Dead, The Sure Thing, Serendipity, Con-Air…most of his 80s films. So, when she bought the DVD after falling in love with it a year beforehand, I had to watch it myself.

I caught it in one sit in when it played on Indieplex a few months back. It started at around 1:55AM and ended at around 3:35AM. I honestly could NOT walk away or fall asleep. The film kept me hypnotized. If you know me well, I am a sucker for a good romance film… especially if it’s also from the eighties and is considered a teen-flick.

Lloyd Dobler is kick-boxing underachiever [who rarely drinks, by the way] who has fallen madly in love with Diane Court, the smartest girl in school [otherwise known as a brain "trapped in the body of a game show hostess"]. He calls her up, they go out, and fall in love. Although Diane's father and the problem that he faces gets in the way, their love for each other is the stuff that dreams are made of.

The film certainly screams 80s. Whether it’s Lloyd Dobler’s ‘The Clash’ t-shirt or boom box. Or the style of Diane Court’s hair… of course, the songs, too. The greatest scene is without a doubt the famous ‘boom box scene,’ where Lloyd holds up his boom box in front of Diane’s window, blaring the song that they made love to. The movie is full of 80s clichés and that’s probably why I love it so much. A great film in deed and a must see for the biggest 80s, teen, or John Cusack movie fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment